Wednesday 29 February 2012

Guest article......

Ok, so I asked the other day if some people could write a short article for the blog.. Anything, as long as its gaming related, and today I had my first submission... So, without further faffing about, Please say Hi to Minkey Monkey....


Why I game.

Hey folks, I'm Minkey Monkey or Minks... but I'll pretty much respond to anything lol. Stu asked if I'd write a little piece on gaming. Now I'm not really any good at reviewing etc so I try to stay clear of that as a general rule but I thought I'd have a crack at something. After a little thought I have decided to let you know why I game.

I could say it started from an early age and that I was hooked instantly, but I'd be lying. Yes I did have a sega way back when and did spend alot of time on Alex Kidd but it wasn't essential, I preferred reading a good book. It wasn't until I discovered RPG's that I REALLY got into gaming. The first was FF9. It hooked me in straight away. It was like having a book on my screen that I could interact with and to top it off it looked amazing! I know people gripe at the length of cut scenes but I love them! I don't care if it's 20 seconds or 20 minutes! It seemed I finally found a game I could get into! Full on submersion, escapism... and that's exactly what I'm after when I game, now I have branched out and will play FPS, puzzles, arcades etc but RPG's are what started me off. I love getting lost in a back street, jumping across buildings, killing Templar knights, hunting for cogs, trying to sneak past the witch (left 4 dead... those witches seriously freak me out!). For some people gaming is about being the best, getting those achievements or trophy's, completion etc, but for me it's all about escaping the real world, even if it's only for half an hour. It's as simple as that. 

I'd try to write more but at the moment I'm full of cold and it makes being coherent a challenge so I'll leave it there and maybe, some time I'll try my hand at writing again. 

Toodles. 



Massive thanks to Minkey for stepping up to write a little article on why she games. I'm sure this kind of thing is similar to many of you...?


Stu



1 comment:

  1. Nice update Minks. You have a nice and writing style. You should try playing Fallout 3 in T-Bo's amazing gaming lab. I have twice had the pleasure and highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete